Ultrasonic coating systems for fuel cells
Ultrasonic nozzles are ideal for spraying the catalyst layer onto a wide range of fuel cell substrates, including PEMs, GDLs, electrodes, various electrolyte membranes, solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs), rods and buttons with ceramic slurries or catalyst suspensions containing carbon black ink or other conductive inks such as platinum, nickel, Ir or Ru.
The uniform thin film coating achieved with ultrasonics retains the porosity of the electrode and does not impede the transport of reactants due to flooding of the electrode surface. Catalyst solutions will not clog the ultrasonic nozzle, allowing for precise coatings with controlled droplet sizes at ultra-low flow rates.
The Ultrasonic Advantage
- Non-clogging technology
- Ability to optimize drop size with tight drop distribution
- Deglomeration of particles in solution results in a more homogenous coating. Allows the ability to change coating morphology.
Catalyst or Electrolyte Coatings on Fuel Cell Materials using Ultrasonics
- De-agglomeration of large particles
- Controlling the drop size, which can affect the morphology and porosity of the catalyst layer (Maximize fuel to catalyst surface area contact)
- Very effective way of controlling thin film deposition, regardless of material
- Creates a very durable coating on membranes with excellent stiction
- Active catalyst surface area has shown to increase as much as 50% (directly correlates to a reduction in the quantity of catalyst necessary)
Prior and after ultrasonic vibration.
Material waste reduction
- Non-pressure spraying
- Minimal overspray
- High transfer efficiency
Ultrasonic dispersion syringe pump – a liquid delivery solution:
- Designed to break apart agglomerated particles and hold them evenly dispersed during coating processes
- Mixes suspensions to near perfect homogenous blends in seconds and holds them evenly dispersed for several hours or more
- Ultrasonic vibration intensity and duration user controllable
- Requires only 5 -10 ml of liquid to operate, saving expensive catalyst suspensions
The FlexiCoat FC programmable production-scale ultrasonic coating system.
The ExactaCoat FC coating system – ideal for laboratory / R&D use.
Process knowledge & equipment
- We offer process expertise in addition to quality machines
- Constantly gaining process knowledge through lab work
- Wide variety of material has been tested
- Lab testing allows us to first qualify materials, then offer process solutions
- Over 90% success rate
- Prepared for future scalability
- Large area & high speed systems for high volume manufacturing systems
- Several liquid delivery options available + optional accessories
- We provide custom solutions